F-1 Visa

All accepted applicants must comply with laws, rules and regulations of the U. S. Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS).  If an applicant of foreign nationality is accepted to a degree program offered by the college, an I-20 will be issued to assist the student in obtaining an F-1 Student VISA.  It is the applicant’s responsibility and obligation to inform the college of Address Changes immediately since the college must be able to contact the student at any time. Otherwise, the enrollment of the student will be suspended, as required by federal law.

Foreign Transcript

Foreign transcripts of international students seeking admission must be evaluated by a member of Association of International Credential Evaluators (AICE), American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO), or National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) to validate equivalency with graduate from high school and eligibility to enter college or university in the United States.

English Proficiency

Applicants whose native language is not English and who have not earned a degree from an appropriately accredited institution where English is the principal language of instruction must demonstrate college-level proficiency in English through one of the following for admission:

  • A minimum score of 500 on the paper-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL PBT), or 61 on the Internet Based Test (iBT), or 6.0 on the International English Language Test (IELTS);

  • A minimum score of 71 on the Cambridge Michigan Language Assessment (CaMLA) English Placement Test;

  • Completion of the English Language Support Program at AUHS.

Other Definition

Arrival/Departure Record:

Form I-94 which is processed at the port of entry, and includes USCIS Admission Number, date and place of entry, visa classification, and length of time the person is permitted to remain in the U.S. This



U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services: The U.S. government agency responsible for controlling the borders of the U.S. and for providing services to non-U.S. citizens in the U.S.


Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 or DS-2019):

Forms issued by an institution for a student or scholar to use in applying for a visa to enter the U.S.


Curricular Practical Training(CPT):

Permission given to an F-1 student by a Designated School Official to engage in employment that is an integral part of the established curriculum.


Designated School Official (DSO):

An employee of the school that is authorized by the U.S.C.I.S. to sign I-20's.



Duration of Status-length of time for which a student can remain in the U.S. The time a student is maintaining the terms of their non-immigrant visa status.


Employment Authorization Document (EAD):

A photo ID card issued by U.S.C.I.S. to authorize work permission.


Full-course of study:

12 credit hours per semester for undergraduate students, 9 credit hours for graduate students. Students must maintain a full-course of study to comply with the terms of their non-immigrant visa status.



Someone who is admitted to the U.S. for a specific purpose and temporary period of time.


On Campus Employment:

Employment when the student is paid by William Woods University.


Optional Practical Training:

Permission given to students to engage in employment directly related to the field of study.


Out of Status:

When a non-immigrant fails to comply with all of the conditions of their immigration status.



Biographical booklet issued by a national government to its citizens to allow for travel to other countries.



An application procedure to have a non-immigrant visa status revalidated after falling out of status.


Procedure that notifies U.S.C.I.S. of a change from one institution to another.


A label in a passport indicating the classification in which one may apply for entry to the U.S.